I-581

 Interstate 581 is a freeway that goes from I-81 north of Roanoke to US 220/VA-24 just south of Downtown Roanoke. The interstate overlaps with US 220 the entire route.

I-581 Shield

The Route Path:

I-581 begins at an interchange with I-81 north of Roanoke. The interstate (and US 220) continue south, and have an interchange with VA-117. They pass by the Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport, and have an interchange with VA-101. 

Both routes have a diverging-diamond interchange with Valley View Boulevard, which leads to a shopping center, and I-581 and US 220 continue towards Downtown Roanoke. Just north of downtown Roanoke, they have an interchange with US 460, followed by an exit for Williamson Road.

The routes pass just to the east of Downtown Roanoke, before an exit for VA-24 (Elm Avenue). At the exit, I-581 ends, and continues to the south as US 220, which goes to Rocky Mount, Martinsville, and eventually, Greensboro NC.

My Experiences:

I don't think I've ever been on I-581, but I have passed its northern end on I-81 multiple times. I probably don't have long to clinch and be on the interstate, since I-581 may be replaced by I-73 in the future.

Popular Routes