I-66

 Interstate 66 is a freeway that goes from I-81 near Strasburg to US 29 in Washington, DC. It connects Front Royal to Northern Virginia.

I-66 Shield

The Route Path:

I-66 starts at an interchange with I-81 just north of Strasburg. The interstate heads to the east, passing a truck rest stop, before approaching Front Royal. Just north of Front Royal, I-66 has an exit for US 340 and US 522. The interstate heads southeast from the Front Royal area, and goes very close to VA-55 as they go over the Blue Ridge Mountains, where the interstate has an exit for VA-79, a very short state route which connects the interstate to VA-55. Just east of the mountains, I-66 has an exit for SR-688.

I-66 beginning at SB I-81.

Shortly after, the interstate has an exit for VA-55, before an exit, and start of a concurrency with US 17, which also carries VA-55. The routes head southeast towards Marshall, where Business US 17 and VA-55 split off. Just southeast of the town, Business US 17 meets I-66, and Mainline US 17, which splits off at the exit.

Southwest of The Plains, I-66 has an exit for VA-245. VA-55 goes parallel to the interstate again, as they head east. Shortly after, I-66 has a diverging-diamond interchange with US 15 in Haymarket, followed by an interchange with US 29 in Gainesville.

I-66 continues east of Gainesville, having an interchange with the Prince William Parkway, followed by an interchange with VA-234. Shortly after, the interstate has another interchange with US 29. The interchange is followed by a huge interchange with VA-28. After VA-28, I-66 has an interchange with VA-286, followed by US 50. After those exits, the interstate has an interchange with VA-123.

Shortly after all the exits, I-66 has an exit with Nutley Road. After Nutley Road, the interstate has an interchange with I-495 near Merrifield. After the interstate enters the beltway, it has an interchange with VA-7, and meets a terminus of VA-267. In Falls Church, I-66 has another interchange with US 29, though, it is indirect. In Arlington, the interstate meets the west end of Fairfax Drive, and has a half exit with VA-120.

In Maywood, I-66 has a half exit for US 29, followed by a concurrency. Shortly after, US 29 splits from I-66, followed by an interchange with US 50, VA-110, and the George Washington Memorial Parkway. Just after the interchange, I-66 enters Washington, D.C.

Just after entering DC, the interstate has an interchange with Constitution Avenue, and heads north through a tunnel under Virginia Avenue. Shortly after leaving the tunnel, I-66 meets US 29 again, and the interstate meets its eastern terminus.

My Experiences:

I have been on I-66 multiple times. The most major trips of mine to involve the interstate were the trips to & from Ocean City, MD on August 9, 2023, and August 13, 2023, respectively.

Popular Routes