I-77

 Interstate 77 is a major interstate highway that crosses Virginia. It enters the state inside the East River Mountain Tunnel, concurrent with US 52, and leaves the state near Cana. In the future, the interstate will be concurrent with I-74 through its part of the state.

Outside of Virginia, I-77 begins at I-90 in Cleveland, Ohio, and extends down to I-26 near Columbia, South Carolina. Since this is currently a Virginia-based website, I will only do the part of the interstate in Virginia.

I-77 Shield

The Route Path:

I-77 enters Virginia inside the East River Mountain Tunnel while in a concurrency with US 52. Just after leaving the tunnel, the interstate has an exit for VA-598, US 52 also leaves the interstate at this exit. I-77 heads south from the interchange, before passing by the community of Rocky Gap. Here, the interstate has an exit for US 52 and VA-61 as the former runs parallel to the southbound lanes, as I-77 continues south from the community.

Shortly after, the interstate has an exit for SR-606, followed by the southbound Virginia Welcome Center as I-77 curves southwest. The interstate then passes by the community of Hicksville, where it has an exit for SR-666, which connects to US 52. Just after, I-77 passes by the CDP of Bastian, passing under the Appalachian Trail.

After that, the interstate continues south from Bastian, eventually reaching the CDP of Bland. I-77 passes along the western border of the CDP, having a diamond interchange exit with US 52. Continuing south from Bland, the interstate enters the Big Walker Mountain Tunnel. After leaving the tunnel, I-77 has an exit for SR-717, before curving into Wythe County.

Entering the county, the interstate continues southeast, before eventually reaching the town limits of Wytheville. Right after that, I-77 has an exit for SR-610, right before reaching a trumpet interchange with I-81. The interstates continue southeast together, shortly before having a trumpet interchange exit with US 11/US 52. 

All four routes head east on what is likely the most well known "wrong-way concurrency" in the country, with I-77 and US 52 heading one way (southbound for this post), and I-81 and US 11 heading the other (north).

Eventually, I-77/81 and US 11/52 cross the Reed Creek, and leave Wytheville. The routes all head east, having a diamond interchange exit for F-042/F-043 as they enter the CDP of Fort Chiswell. Not long after entering, US 52 splits from the wrong-way concurrency, leaving I-77/81 and US 11 to continue east. Right after that exit, I-77 splits from I-81 and US 11 to continue southeast out of Fort Chiswell.

After leaving the CDP, the interstate continues to pass through hilly terrain. Eventually, I-77 crosses the New River over a huge bridge. Shortly after that, the interstate has a diamond interchange exit for VA-69, right before entering Carroll County. In Carroll County, I-77 continues to head south through mountainous terrain, 

Eventually, the interstate has an exit for SR-620, as it begins to run along the northeastern border of the CDP of Woodlawn. As I-77 begins to pass near the town of Hillsville, it has an exit for US 58 and US 221. After the exit, the Woodlawn CDP limits turn away from the interstate, as it continues to head southeast through mountainous terrain.

After almost 3 miles, I-77 begins to run along the western border of the CDP of Fancy Gap. Shortly after, the interstate has an exit for VA-148 and SR-775. The northbound access ramp erroneously signs VA-148 as US 148, formerly with a US 775 shield up until 2008-2014. As I-77 is about to stop going along the Fancy Gap CDP limits, it passes under VA-48/Blue Ridge Parkway.

After it does leave the CDP, the interstate has its median widen as it runs south down the side of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with a very scenic view. Eventually, the median returns to normal as I-77 is almost done descending, right before the interstate has an exit for SR-620. Shortly after the exit, I-77 reaches the VA-NC State Line. The interstate continues south, with I-74 as it begins at the VA-NC line.

My Experiences:

The only part of I-77 that I've been on in Virginia is the I-81 concurrency, which I was on a few times. Outside of Virginia, I've been on I-77 from the southern I-485 interchange near Charlotte, NC to its southern end at I-26 near Columbia, SC, which I used on August 25, 2023.

Exit List:

Note: the exit list is going northbound from Exit 1, unlike The Route Path, which goes southbound from Exit 66.

Exit Number Route
Exit 1 SR-620 (Lambsburg Rd.)
Exit 8 East VA-148/West SR-775
Exit 14 US 58/US 221
Exit 19 SR-620 (Coulson Church Rd.)
Exit 24 VA-69 (Lead Mine Rd.)
Exit 32 I-81S/I-77N, I-81/US 11N,
Exit 80 (I-81) South US 52/North VA-121
Exit 77 (I-81) F-042/F-043 (Ready Mix Rd.)
Exit 73 (I-81) South US 11/North US 52
Exit 72 (I-81) North I-77
Exit 41 SR-610 (Peppers Ferry Rd.)
Exit 47 SR-717 (Little Creek Hwy.)
Exit 52 US 52 (South Scenic Hwy.)
Exit 58 SR-666 (Indian Village Trl.)
Exit 62 SR-606 (Wilderness Rd.)
Exit 64 US 52/VA-61 (North Scenic Hwy.)
Exit 66 South US 52/North VA-598

Popular Routes