I-85

 Interstate 85 is a major interstate highway that passes through the southern half of Virginia. The interstate begins at I-95 in Petersburg, and leaves the state about .7 miles north of US 1/401 and south of the Roanoke River.

Continuing from Virginia, I-85 passes through North Carolina via Durham, Greensboro, and Charlotte, before entering South Carolina and Georgia via Spartanburg, Greenville, and Atlanta to I-65 in Montgomery, Alabama. 

I-85 Shield



The Route Path:

I-85 starts at an interchange with I-95/US 460 in the City of Petersburg. The interstate heads southwest on a concurrency with US 460, passing over US 301 ALT, and eventually having a diamond interchange with Squirrel Level Road. Shortly after, I-85/US 460 leave Petersburg and have an interchange with US 1 shortly after.

After this interchange, the interstate curves south and US 460 leaves the concurrency at a diamond interchange, as I-85 continues south, passing over US 1 just south of the interchange. The median of the interstate widens, as it heads southwest. Eventually, I-85 has an interchange with SR-703, which provides access to the main parts of the CDP of Dinwiddie. From the interchange, the interstate continues southwest, before entering the southern part of the CDP.

I-85 passes under Courthouse Road shortly before leaving Dinwiddie. After this, the interstate passes through plenty of rural areas, eventually passing over Stony Creek. I-85 still continues southwest, before having an exit for SR-650, which connects to the communuity of DeWitt. Not long after, the interstate passes under SR-709 and is still heading southwest.

Eventually, after about 5.2 miles, I-85 passes by the town of McKenny, having an exit for VA-40 right next to the eastern edge of the town limits. Shortly after this, the interstate crosses the Nottoway River into Brunswick County and has an exit for SR-712.

After the exit, I-85 continues to continue southwest on a straight stretch for almost 4 miles, before curving more southwesterly. Right after this, the interstate has an exit for SR-630, providing acces to Sturgeonville and Warfield. From here, I-85 passes through parts of rural Brunswick County, before passing a pair of Rest Areas.

Shortly after this, the interstate curves west and has an exit for US 1 as it passes by the town of Alberta. I-85 curves back to the southwest, before having a half-exit for VA-46. The interstate reverts to passing through rural areas, before eventually having an exit for SR-644. After the exit, I-85 curves even more southwest, passing by a pair of Weigh Stations and crossing the Shining Creek. Eventually, the interstate crosses the Meherrin River, shortly before entering Mecklenburg County right by its northeastern corner.

In the county, I-85 heads southwest for about 3.5 more miles, before curving south and having another exit for US 1. At the exit, the interstate briefly enters the town limits of South Hill before becoming the eastern town limits. Eventually, I-85 fully re-enters the town, shortly before having an interchange with US 58, with a ramp leading to the south end of VA-47. Right after the interchange, the interstate leaves South Hill and continues south.

I-85 passes through rural wooded areas with some fields for almost 7.5 miles, before having an exit for SR-903. Shortly after this, the interstate crosses the Roanoke River on the Roanoke River Bridge. From here, I-85 continues south, before eventually crossing the Virginia/North Carolina State Line just north of an exit for US 1/US 401.

My Experiences:

I've been on I-85, but have never been on the part in Virginia. I have passed its northern end at I-95 multiple times though, most recently on July 26, 2024.

Exit List:

Note that this exit list is going from south to north, unlike The Route Path section which goes from north to south.

Exit Number Route
Exit 4 SR-903 (Hwy 903)
Exit 12 US 58/VA-47 (Atlantic St.)
Exit 15 US 1 (Mecklenburg Ave.)
Exit 24 SR-644 (Brunswick Dr.)
Exit 27 VA-46 (Christiana Hwy.)
Exit 28 US 1 (Boydton Plank Rd.)
Exit 34 SR-630 (Sturgeon Rd.)
Exit 39 SR-712 (Old Stage Rd.)
Exit 42 VA-40 (Doyle Blvd.)
Exit 48 SR-650 (Hamilton Arms Rd.)
Exit 53 SR-703 (Carson Rd.)
Exit 61 West US 460/US 1 (Airport St.)
Exit 63 US 1/US 460 Business
Exit 65 Squirrel Level Rd.
Exit 68 South I-95/East US 460
Exit 69 Wythe St./Washington St.
END I-85 I-95 North - Richmond

Popular Routes